Sunday, April 29, 2007

Anything but THAT!

Admittedly, I am a bit of a highbrow. When I first heard of Dr. Lee's Tolvaptan trail center in Riverside I blanched - UCLA, USC, even Irvine - but Riverside? In this city of 12 million why did the study Dr have to be from Riverside? I googled Lee and the only thing I could come up with was a letter from the Feds citing Medicaid fraud. Figures.
Soooo I spend the time reading the fraud documents and found that maybe the Feds were a little hasty, after all - turns out that Dr Lee's nurses adamantly denied the Dr's wrongdoing, these gals defended his honor citing faulty paperwork not shoddy practices. And we all know that the nurses are the one who KNOW. I forged on......
I was a bit nervous on the drive, as you can imagine. Heading East of Los Angeles, and more East, and more East. Riverside. Of course I made the wrong turn up a side street, as I passed check cashing stores covered with graffiti and drive-thru tobacco outlets I tried not to panic. Wrong street! My relief at discovering my navigational error was visceral. Of course his office couldn't be here, its round the corner next to that massive, newly constructed hospital over there. Silly girl.....It would be fine, Riverside is a wonderful place, full of "cutting edge" medicine types. Then I say the sign....the hospital sign...it was a KAISER hospital. Groan, all was lost.
In case any of you haven't heard, Kaiser was forced to close two of its transplant centers in northern California due to sheer incompetence. What Kaiser put those patients through was criminal, and the Federal oversight of their operations was disgraceful. Fortunately, the intrepid LA Times pulled records and discovered what was going on and had the centers shut down. That is how bad it was.
Turns out Dr. Lee wasn't from Kaiser. Turns out he had applied for the study three years ago, and was accepted as one of the two centers on the West coast. Turns out he just got his Law degree, just because he could. Turns out I liked him and the lovely Lorie. I really liked them. I'm in.

No comments: