Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The excitable nature of an optomist

OK, so I lifted that line from Michael Chabon, so what? He was just pointing out the obvious. I also admit to being an optomist, and LUCKY. Think about it - I was diagnosed with PKD (right place) at a time when research was funded at a historically high level and was showing promise for the first time (right time). I am genetically inclined toward investigation and have the personality to charm my way into situations above my station - like the time I elbowed my way into a cab with a principal PKD researcher from Harvard so we could "chat" on the way to the airport (LOVED that guy). Is that lucky? I think so. Did I make my own luck? Sure, I attended the PKD conference in the first place, heard him speak, had the nerve to introduce myself and inserted myself into this guy's space. I was excited, and our discussion confirmed my optimism.


And your point is? I'm really blogging this as a deversion because I can't stand waiting to hear if I qualify for something I've been waiting TWO years to get into.

I will know this week, and I'm excited. That would be me.

3 comments:

Kathy H said...

You're absolutely right - you're an optimist! To be even talking about being lucky with your condition...very inspirational! But I also like how, though you feel lucky on some counts, you recognize that your optimism and energy help create that luck.
Hope you hear good news soon!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Julie B said...

Anonymous suspiciously sounds like my Mother. Thanks Mom! And if you are not my Mother, it is a compliment to be compared to my mother, so back-at-cha'!