Friday, July 6, 2007

Those mighty mutant mice

Imagine, being created to be destroyed. That is the plight of the lowly PKD lab rat/mice. Once those PKD gene (genes) were identified in 1994/1995, PKD research took off. Why? Because some lab somewhere could infect the mice with those nasty genes and presto! PKD kidneys. Let the games begin.

I've never met one of these creatures but I have seen pictures of their kidneys. Pictures of the "Before" -bulging, bumpy PKD kidneys, and "After" - adorable, pink, solid, post Tolvaptan kidneys. A GREAT RECRUITING TOOL. It sold me on the stuff.

I'm sure the PETA people would be appalled. And it does give me pause, should we create/destroy these creatures just to further my life? Biblically I think we're covered. I'm not sure about the other religions, it might piss off the Hindus or the Buddhists, I'm ignorant of their theology. What about the Muslims? Where do they weigh in on this? Secularly, I'm thinking that we're forwarding the "survival of the fittest" aspect of life (if one takes their moral direction from Darwin). Keeping this species going, even when some of us have defective genes. Lets fix the less fittest. Isn't that what we as humans do? As civilized creatures we take care of our weakest. Our herd doesn't leave them (me) lying in the dust. But our path is paved with the lives of these small creatures, these PKD mice.

I think I'll be nicer to the dog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Howdy there Julie B. I have to say you have quite the humorous observations of your trial. I hope all is progressing well. I myself have just been accepted into the clinical trial as well. They stick me in the big magnet tomorrow so I should start on the little pill within the next few weeks. I"ll have to remember to check with you since you're a fwe months ahead of me to compare. Good luck and congrats on getting the non-sugar pill. ;)

Julie B said...

Blake,
Hope it went well.I got a copy of my MRI report, just cause......Actually I'm only about 7 weeks into the pill popping. Wish it was 5 months, cause I can't wait to read my next MRI report.
Fight on,
Julie

Anonymous said...

I feel bad for the mousies, but at the same time, I just don't. When you think about it, we are now the mousies, but instead of killing us to see our kidneys they stick us in the big magnet to gauge our progress.

I wonder if they have thought of a mini-magnet for the mousies?